Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gretchen's First Time Preaching

Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series
The snippets given from Gretchen’s first sermon are the main parts from my first sermon. I was in seminary and Eric Laverentz, my pastor at Kirkmont Presbyterian Church, invited me to take part in the Good Friday service that year. We were doing the Seven Last Words of Christ, which are actually the seven separate sentences that Jesus said while He was on the cross. The pastor was going to get seven different people to speak that night, each preaching for a few minutes on one of those seven sentences. I chose “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
I wrote the sermon, delivered it, and it was perfect. That night was a real affirmation of my calling. I remember thinking, “Yeah, I can do this.”
Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series

No comments:

Post a Comment