Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gretchen Sees a Little Boy in the Corn Field

Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series
When I was a freshman in high school, I got to be friends with a girl who was a senior because she rode my bus. My friend, Andy, and I were invited over to her house for her birthday party. Once most everyone had left, including Andy, the rest wanted to go for a walk. It was about midnight.
We walked a few blocks away from the neighborhood and found ourselves circling a farm. You could see the farm from the main road, but we were back on the other side of it, on a side road. All of a sudden, I heard someone calling for help. It sounded like a little boy, calling from the middle of the cornfield.
I froze. “Did you guys hear that? There was someone calling for help, a little boy, I think.”
No one else had heard him. I told them all to be quiet and listened. I didn’t hear anything. I called to the corn. “Hello!” Nothing.
But I was sure I had heard someone calling for help. I said, “I think we should go look for him.”
None of them did. “You’re freaking me out,” the birthday girl said.
I said, “I’m going in there.”
“No, you’re not,” they said. “Stay here, please.” I hated myself, but I stayed there. I thought, If I hear about a kid who got lost in a cornfield, it’s going to be my fault because I didn’t help him. And it’s going to be all of these people’s fault because they didn’t help me.
But, yeah, I never heard anything about it. So had I been imaging the whole thing? Hearing things? Who knows?
Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series

No comments:

Post a Comment