Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gretchen Choking on Machine Gun's Fingers

Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series
I don’t know if anyone remembers the Colorform scene sets. I just did some research and they still make them, but I haven’t seen one since I was a kid. Basically, they’re plastic cut-out shapes that you can stick to a plastic background. I had the He-Man set. You could stick He-Man, his allies, and the baddies onto this desert scene background and create your own still action images. It was pretty cool.
Until my two-year-old brother, Cody, decided to take the Orko cut-out and shove it in his mouth. I noticed he had done so when he started gagging. Seeing he was in trouble, six-year-old me reached my finger into his mouth and swept the slimy plastic wad out of the back of his throat.
I then began to cry. I guess it was because I had been afraid and because I was so proud of myself for saving him. I took him to our parents’ bedroom (they were both still asleep) and, still crying, showed them the spit-wadded piece. “He had this stuck in his mouth,” I said, “and I saved him!”
The Forcemen that Ling and Gretchen were playing with are a reference to the G. I. Joes me and my friends, Andy and Jesse, used to play with. Like Gretchen, I would often bite the action figures’ hands to bend them into position, sometimes breaking off fingers in the process, but Andy and Jesse were more like Ling. They liked to keep their guys in pristine condition. When I would go over to their house, they would take their collection out of the cupboard, lay them out on their beds or on the floor and admire them. I’m not sure we ever actually played with them, they always wanted to be so careful.
Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series

No comments:

Post a Comment