Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bring Home the Sha-Shas!

Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series!
One of the events in my book, The Gifted: Book 1: In the Beginning, shows Gretchen’s dad, Marshall, getting a job at McDonald’s. Little Gretchen loves the idea of her father working there and tells him to bring home some “sha-shas” for her. Sha-shas was my word for French fries when I was a toddler. I apparently couldn’t say “French fries” and thought that sha-shas sounded close enough!
Marshall, on the other hand, quickly discovers that he does not love the idea of working at McDonald’s, a sentiment that I can heartily agree with. Don’t get me wrong. I love fast food. I’m probably going to get fast food tonight. And I’m thankful for the people who make me fast food. I just really didn’t enjoy my time working fast food.
In college, I worked at Burger King (multiple locations), Hardee’s, McDonald’s (multiple locations, again), and Arby’s. And whereas, I appreciated having a job and getting the employee discount on all their yummy food, I really wasn’t appreciative of all the nasty jobs I had to do. I can tell you from personal experience, friends, that cleaning out fryers and grease traps on grills just doesn’t leave you feeling very fresh. It is my own immaturity during that time coming through in Marshall’s character because I never could stand working at one of the aforementioned restaurants for very long.
Until next time! May God’s Spirit be with your spirit!
Steve
Read or purchase the series at The Gifted Book Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment